Tristy

Paintings of Henry Miller
Henry Miller, Lawrence Durrell
Dreamways of the Iroquois: Honoring the Secret Wishes of the Soul
Robert Moss
Pentimento (Back Bay Books)
Lillian Hellman

Dance of Life: The Other Dimension of Time

Dance of Life: The Other Dimension of Time - Edward Twitchell Hall I've got mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, it really shows it's age - published in 1983, it has a very dated, simplistic anthropological approach to culture and how "other" cultures differ from the "American European" culture. On the other hand, there is some really sensitive, in-depth exploration of the differences in the way different cultures view, access, talk about, and experience time. I was particularly fascinated by the author's work with Hopi and Navajo people in the 1930's. For that time in history, Edward Hall has a remarkably progressive and open-minded approach to the differences in cultural constructs of time. Also, the author's "Map of Time" was really eye-opening, and helped me understand that there are many different ways to conceive of time and all are equal in their validity (quite a revolutionary thought, even in this day and age!). But in the end, the author makes far to many leaps in his theories that seem to have no evidence to back them up except his own perceived connections. He's also really all over the place - in one short paragraph, he compares jazz, German naming ceremonies and Zen Buddhism with barely any explanation as to why the three are so inter-connected to him. But, all his personal stories are wonderful to read and this is an interesting peek into a very brilliant, if a bit confusing, mind.