Tristy

Paintings of Henry Miller
Henry Miller, Lawrence Durrell
Dreamways of the Iroquois: Honoring the Secret Wishes of the Soul
Robert Moss
Pentimento (Back Bay Books)
Lillian Hellman

Trickster in the Land of Dreams

Trickster in the Land of Dreams - Zeese Papanikolas Oh how I wanted to love this book, but I just couldn't quite get there. Zeese Papanikolas (besides having THE BEST name I have ever heard) has an incredibly delicious writing style. It's kind of like if Tom Robbins hooked up with Carl Jung and they hitchhiked to the Spirit Realm and then reported back through poetic, mushroom telegraphs. BUT, the reason there are only three stars up there, is that this book is so dark. Now yes, the life of a Trickster is very dark, but it is also silly and ridiculous and that's what was missing from this book. There was none of the sly, funny tricks of Coyote and his ilk. Instead, Zeese Papanikolas chooses to focus on the "stupid & mean" side of the Trickster, which is disappointing and not the whole story. This is definitely still worth a read, though - for the excellent writing style and interesting lens on the history of the mid-Americas.