Tristy

Paintings of Henry Miller
Henry Miller, Lawrence Durrell
Dreamways of the Iroquois: Honoring the Secret Wishes of the Soul
Robert Moss
Pentimento (Back Bay Books)
Lillian Hellman

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins My husband succumbed to all the hype and brought this book into our house and so of course, I had to read it. But I almost don't want to talk about my thoughts on the book - I'm much more fascinated with the huge obsession with this series. What is it about this story that has totally captured the imagination of our culture? Is it a young woman, "fighting the power?" Is it the futility but continuing fight to battle the dark "Big Brother" watchers and manipulators? Is it because this might be what the show "Survivor" could become if we had absolutely no morals in our society? There is so much violence in this story, and yet it is a young adult favorite. Do young people need this much violence in their literature, these days? And have you seen the hostile responses to the folks who did not like this book, here on GoodReads? Wow! I have to admit, the book is a page-turner, but now that I am reading the second book in the series, I am realizing that it's a trap - a soap opera trap. The author gives a tiny glimmer of hope and joy to the characters, only to take it away at the last minute. Much like the "overlord" oppressors of the book, we are strung along for entertainment-purpose, while also being emotionally manipulated. But hey, it's a bestseller, so she must be doing something right...right?