Tristy

Paintings of Henry Miller
Henry Miller, Lawrence Durrell
Dreamways of the Iroquois: Honoring the Secret Wishes of the Soul
Robert Moss
Pentimento (Back Bay Books)
Lillian Hellman

Beyond Words: 200 Years of Illustrated Diaries

Beyond Words: 200 Years of Illustrated Diaries - Susan Snyder This is a collection of illustrated diaries from the Bancroft Library at U.C. Berkeley in California. It's a beautiful publication with a wonderful graphic eye for detail, however the actual contents left a bit to be desired. Now, let me say that my interests are coming from an art journal perspective - looking at the secret, private creations of artists and creatively-minded people is one of my joys and I think that is why this book was given to me. But this collection is much more historical, than creative. It begins with a series of diary entries of early explorers and it's heartbreaking to read how callously they write of killing the very people that also creatively inspired them with their culture. Then we move on to botanists and biologists, who revel in the diversity of flora and fauna of new places - and again, it's heartbreaking to read of the bubbling spring that the city of New York grew up around which eventually became choked with sewage and filth. It really only gets interesting to me when we get to the 1960's and the journals of creative artists traveling the world are featured. But each person only gets one journal page, so I was left wanting more, over and over again. I am grateful to have found out about some artists, like John Brandi and Ayako Miyawaki, but in the end this book was a disappointment, to me.