Tristy

Paintings of Henry Miller
Henry Miller, Lawrence Durrell
Dreamways of the Iroquois: Honoring the Secret Wishes of the Soul
Robert Moss
Pentimento (Back Bay Books)
Lillian Hellman

Superstition and the superstitious

Superstition and the superstitious - Eric Maple I picked this up at a great used bookstore near Pioneertown, CA. Published in 1972 and written by Eric Maple, a "pioneer in the field of demonology," this book has tremendous detail in describing every single superstition known to Western European culture. While this exhaustive, informative book is fascinating, it's really the pictures that are worth taking a gander at. All the images seem to have been taken in the late 60's and there is an odd surreal quality to them that is totally mesmerizing. As to the information, I kind of skipped through and read the sections that interested me most, which related to ancient witch craft and "the old ways." I was also struck with the fact that, in our technological age, we aren't really all that superstitious anymore - although I still toss salt over my left shoulder when it spills...