Tristy

Paintings of Henry Miller
Henry Miller, Lawrence Durrell
Dreamways of the Iroquois: Honoring the Secret Wishes of the Soul
Robert Moss
Pentimento (Back Bay Books)
Lillian Hellman

Madam Millie: Bordellos from Silver City to Ketchikan

Madam Millie: Bordellos from Silver City to Ketchikan - Max Evans As another reviewer said, the amazing stories in this book outweigh the choppy, badly edited writing. The "Afterglow" section at the end of the book explained that the only way Millie would talk to the author on a deep level, was if he would get totally drunk with her - so that might explain the chaotic writing style. You can tell that the author adored Millie, as just about everyone who knew her seemed to. And her story is quite amazing. I did have a hard time bridging how brilliant of a businesswoman she was with how she also got herself into horrifically abusive relationships. I guess the alcoholism didn't help any. And yet, she was probably the most successful madam in the history of prostitution. I also learned that it was the male pimps who came along and took the power away from the women, and brought drugs into the scene, thus basically destroying the old ways of the female-run whorehouse. It's a really fascinating book - you just have to approach it like you are sitting with Millie on her back porch and listening to her stories, as opposed to a more traditionally-written biography.