Tristy

Paintings of Henry Miller
Henry Miller, Lawrence Durrell
Dreamways of the Iroquois: Honoring the Secret Wishes of the Soul
Robert Moss
Pentimento (Back Bay Books)
Lillian Hellman

The Buddha of Suburbia

The Buddha of Suburbia - Hanif Kureishi This very well-loved copy fell into my hands through a scavenging adventure with my husband. I have always wanted to read My Beautiful Laundrette but have yet to pick it up, and this book is written by the same author. It's rare for me to enjoy a book with such a dislikable lead character. And it's a real trick to make me CARE about such a dislikable lead character. And care about Karim, I did. I read this book pretty quickly, to find out where it all leads. And not surprisingly, it doesn't really lead anywhere...but that's the point I think. In the end, it really is a Zen tale and the Buddhist koans that are secretly sprinkled through all the somewhat boring sex scenes and tales of drug use are a nice surprise, but not enough to make me really recommend this book to anyone. But if you are a fan of Hanif Kureishi - well, you've probably read this, but if you haven't - check it out.