Tristy

Paintings of Henry Miller
Henry Miller, Lawrence Durrell
Dreamways of the Iroquois: Honoring the Secret Wishes of the Soul
Robert Moss
Pentimento (Back Bay Books)
Lillian Hellman

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill: A Love Story . . . with Wings

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill: A Love Story . . . with Wings - Mark Bittner I wanted to like this book. I really did! The documentary was wonderful and delightful and I was hoping for the same in the book, however it became clear to me that just as Mark Bittner seemed a little socially awkward in the film, his writing is even more so. Through reading his words, however, I did understand him better as a human being, through his borderline obsessive-compulsive approach to studying and interacting with the wild parrots of San Francisco. It's almost like he gave up on himself and focused all his energy into the wildness of this birds, instead of finding the wildness in himself. I actually loved the first chapters - his life BEFORE meeting the parrots. He shared what it was like to be his own version of a "Dharma Bum," wandering the streets of San Francisco in the 70's. I wish he had continued to share that personal story as he moved on with his story of the parrots. He tried to, but he got lost in a much more detailed, scientific, blow-by-blow description of how he fed and eventually cared for the parrots. I appreciate Mark Bittner as seeking spiritual human and his deep love of wild nature, but I couldn't connect to this book.