Tristy

Paintings of Henry Miller
Henry Miller, Lawrence Durrell
Dreamways of the Iroquois: Honoring the Secret Wishes of the Soul
Robert Moss
Pentimento (Back Bay Books)
Lillian Hellman

Dolly: My Life and Other Unfinished Business

Dolly: My Life and Other Unfinished Business - Dolly Parton This book was one of the prizes from my Palm Springs thrift store odyssey. I do so hope a beautiful drag queen owned it before me and then got gifted another copy, so she went ahead and donated this one. I knew I liked Dolly's sassy outlook on life from every interview I've seen her do. She always has been smart and incredibly funny and good-humored. Her autobiography did not disappoint! She is truly an excellent story-teller and brilliant at not directly confirming or denying that she and her husband have an open relationship, and that she has had a 40 year love affair with her best friend Judy. Her focused and cosmic spirituality (that yes, is very Christian) is also beautiful to read about. She writes about regularly dancing naked in her back yard and communing with divine angels who fill her with light. She has such a shining beautiful outlook on God and spirituality that is not fundamentalist in any way shape or form. The ONLY reason that I did not give this delightful book five stars is that poor Dolly has a very sick approach to weight and being fat. She actually recommends chewing food and spitting it out as a great "diet tip!" Oh Dolly! But this comes as no surprise and while her vehement rants about being fat and how horrible it is really clash with the gentle, funny story-telling approach to the rest of the book, it is also relatively minor. After her sad, dark rant, she gets right back to her witty wonderful self. So if you can handle a small detour down to the dark side (and we all have one of those!) then pick this gem up at your nearest thrift store or jumble sale!